Federal Grants

There are four types of federal student aid grants. Almost all federal grants are awarded to students with financial need, and grants do not require repayment.

Federal Pell Grants

You must be an undergraduate student who does not have a bachelor's or professional degree. Aid from other federal and nonfederal sources may be added to your Pell Grant funding to help make college affordable.

If you are eligible for a Pell Grant and your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed forces and died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept.11, 2001, you will receive the maximum Pell for the award year.  For more information, go to

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

You must be eligible to receive a Pell Grant and have exceptional financial need.

Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grants

Students who are not eligible for a Pell Grant only because of that program's need requirements and whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept. 11, 2001, may qualify for these grants.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grants)

For students taking coursework necessary to become elementary or secondary teachers. You must be enrolled at a school that participates in the TEACH Grant Program, agree to meet specific requirements, and sign the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.

Tennessee Grants

Other grants available in Tennessee include:

  • Tennessee HOPE Access Grants
  • Tennessee HOPE Foster Child Tuition Grants
  • Helping Heroes Grants for Veterans
  • Dual Enrollment Grants for Eligible High School Students

More information about Tennessee Grants can be found here.

LEAP Program Grants

Under the Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) Program, state and federal funds are provided to establish grant programs to assist students who demonstrate substantial financial need. More information about LEAP Program Grants can be found here (pdf).